Family FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I get an absence excused?

Parents are allowed to excuse five absences per semester (for a total of 10 per year). In order to get an absence excused a note must be written and turned in to the attendance office (the school does not have a sick line). If a student is signed out or comes to school tardy, in order to make this an excused tardy a note must also be written, but this will use one of the five absences for the semester (this note must be turned in when the student is signed out or arrives at school). If a student is tardy because of a doctor, dental, or court appointment and a note is turned in with the correct date on it, the tardy is automatically excused, and it does not count against the five absences for the semester. All absence notes must be turned in within five days of the absence to the attendance office.

How can a student get signed out of school?

Parents/guardians with a photo ID need to report to the attendance office to sign out their child. If the student drives to school and needs to be signed out during the day, they must bring a note from their parent/guardian first thing in the morning to the attendance office with a phone number where the parent/guardian can be reached. Only after a parent/guardian is contacted, will the student be allowed to sign themselves out. If the attendance office cannot contact the parent/guardian, the student may not sign out.

What should I do if I need to change my schedule or have a specific scheduling problem (i.e. no classes scheduled for 2nd period)?

Students with scheduling issues need to obtain an add/drop form from the guidance department (within the first 10 school days of the semester) or make an appointment with their guidance counselor to address scheduling problems. Students should not ask their classroom teachers to write passes to go to the guidance department during class. Students should go to the guidance department to resolve these issues between classes.

What happens if a student loses their ID?

All students on campus are given one ID free of charge and are responsible for maintaining that ID throughout the school year. If a student loses their ID, they must purchase another ID from the media center for a cost of $5.00.

When do students receive their lockers/locks?

Student lockers may be rented for $5.00, and they will be assigned in the first two weeks of school during lunch.

When can students purchase a P.E. uniform?

Physical Education (P.E.) uniforms cost $20.00 and can be purchased through the student's P.E. teacher or during Freshmen Orientation, which is usually held the week before school starts.

Where do students pick up the Student Code of Conduct?

The student code of conduct is available online and in the Dean's office. 

My child has a medicine that needs to be administered every day, can they bring it in themselves?

Students who have a valid prescription may have their medicine kept with the high school nurse. The school nurse or an authorized administrator must administer all medication. For prescription medications, a doctor must complete a form. Parents must bring in medication to the nurse's office. For non-prescription medications, parents may bring in medication and complete the form themselves in the clinic.

Where can students obtain information on parking permits?

Parking/parking permit information can be obtained in the MHS front office. Here is the driving/parking information packet.

Where can I find other information, such as the school calendar, supplemental services offered, and the parent resource guide?

Other helpful information for parents is available on the district website.

When are report cards and progress reports distributed?

Report cards will be distributed on November, February, April, and June. Progress reports will be given out in September, December, February, and May.

How do I know who my child's counselor is?

Guidance counselors are assigned to students based on alphabetical order, students with the last names starting with:
Carue DavisA–Di and ESE
Heidi FitzgeraldDo-Maq
Yasmin CuevasF–J (12th grade only) and AICE
Tammy StuveMar-Ro
Karen FeistRu-Z and ESE Access

When is tutoring offered?

Tuesdays and Thursdays from 2:30 pm-4:00 pm.  After school buses will leave our campus promptly at 4:15 pm.
Tutoring is available for the following courses:

  • Biology
  • Test Retakes
  • Chemistry
  • Physical Science
  • Social Studies
  • Environmental Science

Please visit the tutoring page for additional information.